Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Progress on Elephant and Woven Keyhole Scarf

Here is the progress on my Flower Power Elephant for Project Linus. I have a body, 2 ears and 2 legs. I need 2 more legs, then I'll embroider eyes and some flowers on her and then I am going to felt mine. Should have the finished product in a few days and I will be working on the pocket blanket Saturday to fit this little girl.

This is called a Woven Keyhole Scarf which I started today.

This is the schematic for assembly. It is similar to a knitted buttonhole scarf.
I warped using solid green Heritage and Santa Fe in Jungle Rain.
I am using a technique called Clasped-Weft which allows you to use 2 different yarns to create either a symmetrical or a free form pattern. Obviously, I'm doing some free forming. I started weaving with the Santa Fe and a Drop Spindle Brushed mohair that was left on the shuttle from a previous project.
When I ran out of the mohair that was on the shuttle, I started to add more mohair but then remembered some Oceania in Spanish Moss that we also had left from a previous project. It is a 100% wool boucle with a strand of lurex that gives it a marvelous purlescent component that, unfortunately doesn't show up in the pictures, although you can see it a little bit in the skein in the upper right hand corner. So off I went with the Oceania.
It doesn't exactly match, but it coordinates well. And the boucle weaves fabulously! Add to that the purlescent element and it is really very cool. I got half of it woven today and may be able to finish the weaving tomorrow then begin the assembly. Stay tuned.

All this planning and weaving just wiped Phoebe out, so she is doing doggie stretches and doggie naps to be ready for the next stage.
Wish I could get that relaxed!

No comments: